Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Cleaning, again

More sorting and shredding. I have the last two boxes sorted into the main file boxes, so that's done. More to shred and haul out to recycling.

While I was going through the boxes, I found holiday cards from 2002-03 and work related notes from a former friend. That stirred up a hornet's nest of memories. Things best out to the recycle bin with my blessings to move on.

As I was washing dishes, several things ran through my head to write about him. At this point, what's done is done. All I can do is change my current reaction to the perceived events of the time.

In sorting, I found some recipes for gnocchi, which can be a potato pasta, made from either regular or sweet potatoes. I also found a recipe for squash gnocchi as well, and ricotta cheese. Yum. Perhaps I will make some from the extra mashed potatoes I'm going to make tomorrow. Mashed with butter and loads of raw onions, sweet baked and mashed. And lefse, if I'm up to it.

The meat? I'm debating back and forth if I should pull a roast out of the freezer and do that, or if I should go spend the money on a turkey breast. If I really want poultry, I could thaw out the chicken drummies I got on Monday in my Fare for All pack.

And even if I don't do turkey, I could still do the dressing. I think. I don't remember Mom's recipe off the top of my head. I did find, in one of the old Sons of Norway cookbooks I have, a recipe similar to what Mom used to do, just sub apples and celery for the other aromatics they used.

Can I say that at this time of the year, it really sucks to be gluten and corn intolerant? I could just wuss out, do the bread thing and pay for the pain later. Take lots of digestive enzymes and arnica between meals and on Friday to deal with the resulting inflammation.

And truth be told, if I set foot outside this place right now, I'll spend money I can't afford to spend. Use what I have on hand, crack open a bottle of wine, and get through the desperation and deprivation in a haze.

Yes, Raini is doing better. Back to eating and drinking on her own without me prompting her with a needle in her back.

Sorry I'm a bit crabby. Hormones are to blame. I suspect I will be very glad when menopause comes - hot flashes to keep me warm and no more cramps to deal with.

No comments: