Thursday, December 18, 2008

Oy...

The interview I turned down continues to haunt me. The HR gal emailed me asking me to reconsider. I told her I'd interview, but I don't think it's fair to the department that if they choose me, they have to wait until April 27, 2009 until I can start. She doesn't think the agency can hold me to the contract. At this point, I don't want to piss off the gal I've already started work for.

The work is easy enough, it's absorbing enough to keep even my easily distractable brain engaged in what I'm doing. I'm off in a different area, so I see my boss maybe once or twice a day, which is fine with me.

Vendors are bringing in treats, so she emailed me to come get some bagels. I walked over there, figuring it was a good time to tell her about my food allergies. I told her thanks, but no thanks, the wheat inflames my hands and makes them hurt, and corn is a literal pain in the gut.

The good news is, she understands, because her son has the dreaded peanut allergy. He has a milder form that hasn't yet caused his throat to swell shut, they have a couple Epi-pens just in case. He does sometimes react to eggs and milk, and has asthma on top of it. So we chatted about that for a few moments, and she said she was glad to know what issues I have, to keep in mind for the future.

Tomorrow will be fun, food wise. It's the company Holiday party. Each campus is having a catered lunch by the company that runs the on-site cafeterias. There will be roasted turkey and dressing, gravy, buttermilk mashed potatoes, roasted root veggies, desert and more. I think I'll stick with the meat, veggies and potatoes, cause I know those are safe. The rest, we'll see about.

Come home tonight, not much on TV. However, Emeril Green, on Planet Green, has a show on gluten free New Orleans food. The gal featured has Ceilac disease, as do her daughters, ages 8 and 5. Emeril showed her how to make a roux out of rice flour and olive oil for an etouffee and gluten free pecan pie, plus gluten free beer. Sweetness!

So, end of week one tomorrow. The week has flown by. I've gotten a lot done, I've got more to do.

No comments: