Thursday, December 11, 2008

Back to work

Good news, finally. I go back to work next week, possibly on Monday. The interview I had this morning went very well, she was impressed with my skills.

Here's what I will be doing. The company has 38,000 employees, not including all of us contractors. They have a 3 year contract with Microsoft that is coming up for renewal, and one of the MS products, the company owns 6,000 licenses and the software is installed on 18,000 machines. What I will be doing is comparing lists of current employees and contractors against the list of machines, eliminating those no longer with the company or scrapped machines. Then its basically continuing to sort the list, see who really needs the software, who doesn't, make arrangements for the software to be uninstalled from the machines and go from there.

I have from now until April 24 to do this. Here's the thing that was hinted at but not said - this could turn into a full time job. No one is currently watching over the licenses compared to users. Just this one project alone will take five months, can you imagine going through EVERY piece of software they have and doing this? If I can write the procedures well enough, they may be able to justify a new job come May when their new budget starts. If I'm already doing the job...

What sucks is I have to let the full time interview I had scheduled for Monday go. Guaranteed income vs a possible chance? I have to take the guaranteed income. Get caught up on the bills, talk to the mortgage company and association to make payment arrangements so I'm OK with them.

Then I need to work like crazy on the copywriting and get that off the ground.

So, I have the rest of today, minus a run for another drug test, plus three more days to finish my cleaning. Better get busy, continue my sorting and filing. Some of this stuff I have to handle a couple times to get it to the right file spot.

I'm now thinking I will keep the desk in the living room. I just had an idea to move it into the corner where the pantry is, possibly angling it into the corner so it faces east, move the pantry down where the freezer is now, move the freezer over. Do my bills there, maybe even move the G4 tower out there so I can play on the computer without having to come into the office to do stuff. Keep the personal stuff out there, the business in the office.
---

Damn it, I didn't want to give up that full time interview. I don't have a choice, given this is a 20 week position. They won't wait 20 weeks for me.
Yeah, I have work. It hurts, letting the interview go, on top of the other grief I'm feeling.

I've found myself missing Mom a couple times over the last few days. Letting go of all this stuff that doesn't serve me has allowed that to surface. Emotion is energy in motion, let it flow over me and through me, and when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path and only I will remain. (If that seems vaguely familiar, it's a riff on The Litany Against Fear from Dune by Frank Herbert.)

The grief may also be from this time of year. I HATE the holidays. About the only good thing from it is getting together with the people you care about, spending time and creating new memories with them.

The quote from Neale Donald Walsch today is "....that happiness is good health and a bad memory. Ingrid Bergman said that, and it is so true. Memories, of course, bring up moments that are past, whereas happiness is always found in the moment that is here, now.
Constantly remembering bad things, or sad things, can rob you of your present -- that is, your pre-sent -- joy.
Happiness has been sent to you in advance by God. It is here, in this moment, if you will seize it...and share it. "

No comments: