Sunday, October 19, 2008

Been a good day

Been a busy day. Took my Shun Ken Onion Chef's knife and three others down to Kitchen Window to get them sharpened for free. Well, I had to pay $3 to get the Shun sharpened - since it's a Japanese blade, it has a 16 degree cutting edge, which means it has to be hand sharpened. It can't be run through a knife sharpener like other blades can.

I came out of Kitchen Window with a knife bag, and push measuring cup and four really wicked sharp knives. I picked up the knife bag because I want a safe way to travel with my knives, be it just to get sharpened on a yearly basis or if I take them with me when I go out to J clan for the holidays, or when I get the call to come teach McK how to cook.

On the way home I stopped at Whole Foods for groceries. Picked up stew meat, hamburger, potatoes, carrots, the rice crackers I like, beef broth, tomato and chicken garlic soup, some cream and arborio rice. Got out of there for $80, which I consider a win. Normally it's $100 or more.

Came home and started cooking. Browned the ground beef with onions and garlic, half for the risotto, half to vacuum pack and freeze for later. Then I cut up the stew meat, cause 2" cubes are too big in my book. Browned that down while I started cutting up the carrots, potatoes and sweet potatoes I had. Drained off the juice from the browned meat to add back in later. Once the meat was done, I added in a quart of beef stock and a quart of french onion soup to the meat and started adding the veggies as I cut them up. Moved the pot to a back burner so I could start on the risotto.

Risotto is easy. Heat up the liquid you're going to use, olive oil in the pan you're going to make the risotto in, add minced garlic and onions, saute for a bit, then add your rice and let it roast for a bit. Then start adding the liquid to the pan of hot rice one ladle at a time until the rice is al dente.

So now both pans are sitting on the stove cooling off enough so I can start putting them in containers. If I made enough, I will be able to eat lunch for two weeks. I've got plenty of yogurt to get me through the next couple weeks as well.

Haven't made the yucca buns yet. I needed to sit for a bit after standing for four solid hours cooking. Need to wash dishes, again. I may chop up the other sweet potatoes I have and either roast them or have them handy for making supper this week. At least sweet potatoes don't turn color when you cut them up ahead of time, like regular potatoes will.

I love having wicked sharp knives. They cut through the toughest stuff like it was butter. Now they are good for another year, until Kitchen Window's next free (almost) sharpening event.

No comments: