Sunday, September 7, 2008

Weddings

Well, McK is now officially Mrs. GG. Or is GG now officially Mr. McK?

Doesn't matter, they are now legally joined at the hips and lips.

The bride was gorgeous, of course, and the groom his good looking self. The rest of the wedding and reception seemed to fall into place. Even if it didn't fall exactly the way McK wanted it to go, enough did to make it look grand. Good job, kiddo.

As for me, my extreme dislike of crowds really kicked in. I got to the church as late as I dared and sat in the back pew. Once I'd made it though the reception line, I bolted for the reception site. Sat in my truck and read a book for a couple hours. Should have sat out there for another hour, and brought more snacks and water.
After the meal, I found McK and said my farewell. Came home with a blinding headache that I'd been fighting since I set foot in the church. Headaches and rainy roads don't mix well. Taez and I got home in one piece, went straight to bed.

This will probably be the last wedding now for quite a few years. Most of my friends are already married, my wedding prospects are not the brightest at the moment. The next ones will probably be Thing 1 and 2 from Jones clan and R from Dominik clan in the next 10-20 years. Those three are 14 & 15 right now. Here's to hoping they wait for their late 20's or early 30's to settle down. Find out who they are first, then find someone who matches their values.

Perhaps that's a discussion I need to have with them once they graduate from high school. What do you value in your career, what you want to do, who you want to love? Set them on a better path than I had. Help them as best I can, show them another way to do things, be the aunt they can come to when they can't go to Mom and Dad.

As I sat in the wedding, I thought about what I might like for my own wedding some day. Don't know that mine will be a traditional wedding. I may call upon a couple people I know to do the legal part of it with a witness or two, then have a reception later. I don't want all the fuss and hullabaloo. 
At one point in my life I had considered doing a Ren Fest wedding, or something on the building site I grew up on. Those plans had included my parents being there, along with the rest of my family. Now I want none of that. I may not even tell my blood relatives about it until long after the deed is done.

That leaves me wondering just how scrambled my brain really is, that I have a stronger bond to my 'endorphin rush' than I've ever had to my blood family.  When I left work on Aug. 7, I didn't cry until it really hit home that I wouldn't see him again. Crying on a motorcycle is not a wise thing to do, so I smashed that back down until I could get home.

Point is, once that bond is somehow formed, I'm loyal to that person until something irrevocably shatters the bond. The last people I let go of because their friendships hurt me more than supported me. When you don't have anything to say to the other person, it's time to move on.
Others are worth fighting for. Two people I left behind I will do my damnedest to stay in contact with, to be relevant in their lives. They are awake and most worthy of staying in contact with.

That said, the surprise in the bottom of McK's present? A baby afghan. I don't know where I'll be when that day comes, so I figured I'd give it to her now. Something for her and G to plan for in the next couple years. I know she'll be a great mom, and G will be a good daddy.

Just remind him, McK, that the first man a woman falls in love with is her father. He is the role model your daughter will forever base her boyfriend and husband choices on. Help him be the best role model he can, through your marriage, so she can make the best decisions she can when that time comes.
Same goes for you and your son. He may be a momma's boy, but he'll choose someone just like Mom when the day comes.

1 comment:

McK said...

Hahaha! Well the opening paragraph made me chuckle....too funny! I really appreciate you coming to celebrate our wedding -- and I know how much you dislike crowds! It was great to see you -- you seem like you are in a much happier place and that things are moving in the right direction for you. Your gifts were awesome! They were a hit with the fam -- especially the baby afghan with G's mom as she's wanting grand babies in the very near future! They are beautiful! Loved them and will cherish these forever...very thoughtful! Thank you!!!