Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Life in general

Ugh. Signs of getting older have become known.

I found my first white/grey hair yesterday. If it hadn't come out on my ponytail holder, I wouldn't have believed it was mine. I know the holder was clean when I put it in, so it could only have come from my head.

Not real sure how I feel about finding this. I know I'm not getting younger. Still, it's a bit of a shock.
I'm kind of used to my hair changing color on it's own. I used to be a very light golden blond most of my youth until I hit 30. That's when I noticed I was going dark, finding brunette strands among the gold. I was content with the honey/caramel blond, muddy as it is compared to what it was.
Now I find white. My dad was a very light blond, went white from the time I was 5 or so, which would have put him at 45. Mom was a dark brunette, kept most of her color until she was in her 70's. It really went gray when she got cancer, about a year before she died.

There is a precedence in my family for going darker before going grey. My brothers and sister were all blond when they were little (different dad). As they hit their teens they went brunette. So it's in the genes, through Mom, to go dark. Still...

Met with the resume writer last night. With all the stuff I've done, I'm looking at a 2 page resume. She's going to work on it today and tomorrow, I'll stop in tomorrow night to see what she's accomplished and if I like the final results. She will give me a paper copy and send me the electronic version. The electronic version will be uploadable and scanable.

It won't be cheap - $275 for the resume and cover letter. I've learned over the years it is better to pay people for their passion and concentrate on what I am good at. Besides, it's also a tax write off for the job search.

In my spare time, I've been reading "Rules for Renegades" by Christine Crawford-Lynch. Interesting book, in how she uses her life to explain alternative ways of doing things. Some of it is Law of Attraction, most is plain old hard work.

Do I consider myself a renegade? Let's just say I don't always fit in to corporate structure. I'm too used to being my own leader, doing what needs to be done, damn the rules and whoevers toes I step on. Get it done, go to the people you need answers from directly. Chain of command doesn't always work, leaves too many people interpreting what was said to get a straight answer. Chain of command works in the military because there are written orders and little room for interpretation. Corporations, too much wiggle room, too much politics, and too much CYA.

I do like the company I'm temping at now. Their misson statement is very clear about communication between the patients, the doctors, the company and everyone who works for the company. There is very little conflict within departments or between departments. If there is, HR gets involved and things are negotiated to a peaceful settlement.

There's an undercurrent of openness and honesty. There has to be when you have a government agency hanging over every step you make, knowing you could be sued (and have been) if a mistake is made and you don't immediately come clean about it. It's a refreshing change.

I would love to work here full time. Once I get this polished resume, I'm uploading it and applying to the open positions. See if I can find out internally who I need to talk to to get my foot in the door. That I've temped here also helps.

I know the right position is out there waiting for me. I know what I want from it, what I value in the people I am working with. I'm doing my part, now the Universe just needs to line things up for me.

So, back to cleaning up the VP's contact database.

No comments: