Monday, August 11, 2008

Honey do list

Well, since I'm the only honey that can do anything about the list in my house, I've got lots to do. (Not like my cats Raini and Shadow are going to lift a paw to help...)

A to do list with at least 60 items on it.
Yeah.

To my credit, I have gotten several of them done so far, and it's only 1:30. I've done:
-called Vonage to cancel a service that hasn't worked for a while
-called Comcast to cancel HBO
-emailed the condo association about a water leak
-emailed one of my teachers about some of her upcoming classes I want to take
-sorted through some of the 1800+ emails in my inbox while I was on the phone
-gotten my mail
-sorted through said pile of mail
-made the original to do list
-partially cleaned off the kitchen table
-found a recipe for tortillas so I don't have to spend $5 on 6 gluten/wheat free tortillas
-made my grocery list
-emailed a ex-friend about the company she currently works for, see if I can get an interview there

Still have many things on the list, it's a start.
---
Dang, brain is not remembering. There used to be a program called Fare Share, where you could get reduced cost groceries. Of course, I had it bookmarked on my work computer, I don't have it here at home.

Figured it out - it's the Emergency Food Shelf that's on 54th and Boone in New Hope. They have different packages available to give you options.

No, I'm not hurting that way yet. I wanted to have the information handy in case I do need it. And by posting it here, if you know of others who could use cheaper groceries, here's the info.

Only thing that sucks with them is getting stuff that is wheat/gluten and corn free. Food allergies are a royal pain in my gut, literally and figuratively. Corn in any form can make me double over in pain. Wheat inflames my body, makes my joints hurt and more hair than normal falls out. Not fun.

Think about how many foods these two grains are in: bread of any sort, pizza, pasta, soda (high fructose corn syrup or HFCS), corn chips, tortillas, ice cream, candy bars, caramel, waffles/pancakes, cake, donuts... That's just a small list.

What do I replace them with? For bread, I don't even try. What's out there tastes like cardboard and is only good for things like egg bakes and other things where it's used as an ingredient, not for making sandwiches. Pizza I've found a great replacement in Amy's, they have a rice crust spinach pizza or cheese pizza that I can dress up. Pasta I use Tinkyada, which is a whole grain brown rice pasta in several varieties. I like Tinkyada in that you can boil it for 5 minutes and let it sit in the hot water for another 5-10 minutes and it's done perfectly.

Soda I just don't drink anymore. On the rare occasion I've needed some caffeine to stay wake, I've been known to grab a diet Dr. Pepper, cause I can't stand diet Coke - I grew up on the Real Thing. I do need to find some Mexican Coke, which I hear still uses sugar, or kosher Coke, which uses sugar around Passover. Or I do the organic stuff, like Virgil's Creme Soda, yum!

For the rest, I try to do as much organic as I can. They don't use HFCS, which is bad for you anyways. Corn can be sneaky, just gotta read the labels. Or avoid processed food all together and make my own from scratch. Hence the search for the tortilla recipe. I've got quinoa flour, which is a high protein grain, and some gluten free all purpose flour as well. I love Bob's Red Mill, which Cub carries, or hit Whole Foods for a wider variety.

Now... two of the classes I have coming up are supposed to help eliminate food allergies. I'm taking the Core Transformation I class from Quantum Touch October 3-5, where we learn how to move energy in a different way than regular QT does. October 25-26 I'm co-hosting a class with friend P where Dr. Cory Sondrup is coming in to teach Power Touch Dynamics.

Between the two, I'm looking forward to getting rid of what originally caused me to need to have food and other allergies in the first place.

That's a whole 'nother post, about the mind-body connection and what we can do to ourselves to get in or out of specific situations, and how those decisions can impact more than what we bargained for.

No comments: