Sunday, August 17, 2008

Change your brain

I can not say enough about "Change Your Brain, Change Your Life." This is one of those rare books that I recommend to everyone.

Why? Even if you yourself have not had any problems, the suggestions in the book for dealing with other people who do have these problems is invaluable. If someone you know has what even seems like a slight head injury and you see a change in their personality or behavior, you can take this book to them and say, hey, since this incident, this is what I am noticing.

Had I had this book before I started my last job, I might still be working there. I would have known how to deal with the physical issues that were manifesting as emotional issues in others and taken into consideration what my own issues were.

As such, I have the information going forward. I recognize the two critical areas in my brain I need to work with and help out. I can use this information in helping my clients by suggesting how they can help themselves. 

Yes, we are much more complex than just our brains. There is our spirituality, our mental and emotional bodies to consider along with our physical bodies. Understand the parts to understand the whole. I have a much better understanding now of my behavior and what's causing it, how I can work to help myself fix it, and why the coaching I've received hasn't always worked.

Here's a link to some YouTube videos of Dr. Amen speaking. Here's a link to his clinic.

Even if you don't buy the book now, tuck this info in the back of your head for future reference. If you need it, you've got it.

No comments: