Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Happiness as birthright

So, work on the taxes continues. I finished sorting everything out, pulled the bank statements and started up Quickbooks. Discovered a shortcut that makes inputting data in faster, so when you have almost two years of statements to input, it doesn't take quite as long...

Add in two years of mileage... yeah. I could make this really easy on myself by signing up for the online statement download. Putter with that tomorrow.
---

P is a friend I met in my therapeutic coaching class in 2003. We've been friends since, working with each other when issues come up, tossing off our favorite phrases at each other when we're stuck or not wanting to see something.

She found a company by the name of Salad out of the UK that does NLP and hypnosis flash cards to help with mastering the language. One of the sets of cards she got was about happiness. The first card she pulled said that happiness is our birthright, just like air is.

Think about the implications. Happiness is my birthright, just like clean air is. For some people, that's a belief that they were brought up with, they don't question it.
For me, not so much. My parents were addicts on three levels: alcohol, nicotine and caffeine. Both were running from dreams denied. Their parents didn't teach them happiness is a birthright, so they didn't pass it on to me.

So what does that mean for me? Is this a belief I can buy into? Is it a belief I want to buy into?

It all comes down to worthiness. Am I worthy of believing this? Well, duh. The worthiness factor is due to a previous belief that I am not worthy of anything, let alone being alive. Happiness? Don't go there.

All things I continue to work on as I progress down this path called being awake.
---
Note to self - don't use pure quinoa flour to make tortillas with. Quinoa flour may be high protien, but the stuff that repels bugs doesn't get washed off before the grain is ground up. Ends up tasting like soap. Yuck.
Normally I'll eat my food mistakes, as long as I don't burn them. Not this time. The whole batch went in the garbage.

Perhaps potato flour is the way to go. Or better yet, just make lefse. I've got mom's rolling pin and recipe. Use potato flour or tapioca instead of wheat flour, could work. Potatoes have a nice, neutral flavor, and I grew up on lefse.

Play with that more. Hit Whole Foods, see what other Red Mill flours they have available.

No comments: