Thursday, January 1, 2009

I scream, you scream

We all scream for ice cream. My first batch turned out very well indeed. I made it based on a recipe from the cook book I got with my stand mixer. The original recipe calls for 3 cups of half and half, 2/3 cup sugar and a tablespoon of vanilla. Mix together, chill well, put in ice cream freezer and let that run for 20-30 minutes.

My variation was to put a cup of sugar into the quart container of half and half, along with the tablespoon and a half of vanilla, shake well, let it sit in the fridge overnight, then freeze it today. Let's just say putting the sugar in the carton doesn't work so well. Next time I'll use the more than quart measuring cup I got at Ikea to mix this up and chill in.

The good news is, that quart, plus a bit of 1% milk to get the sugar out of the bottom of the carton, turned into two quarts of very yummy vanilla ice cream. It's in the freezer right now hardening. In another couple hours I can tap into the first container. If it turns out to taste as good hardened as it did when it was just out of the mixer, forget about buying ice cream again, I'll make my own. Ice cream, sorbet, maybe I'll give my yogurt a whirl as well.

As for flavorings... One thing I might try is flavored liquid stevia. If you've seen the Truvia commercials, stevia has been around for a long time as a sweetener. Only recently have the big brands noticed it and started playing with it. It's the original no calorie, truly natural sweetener, until other things out there that are chemically manufactured. Something to play with in a future batch.
---

Other than making ice cream and washing dishes while it was processing, I finished the edging on the lap robe. Started that last night as something to do while I was watching Knight Rider (I still say that should have been a Camaro or Vette and not a f@#$%%^ Mustang).

One good thing - it's a Mythbusters marathon today - until 10 pm tonight. Yes!

Tomorrow is payday, so time to get caught up on the phone and cable bills, put gas in Taez, get a few groceries and that check is gone. Good thing temp work pays weekly.
--

BTW, happy new year. May the best of 2008 be the worst you experience in 2009.

No comments: