Saturday, April 11, 2009

Some days...

...it's worth crawling out of bed.

I went to the bike maintenance seminar this morning. Not what I expected, that's for sure.

Why? Well, I got a free oil change out of attending, plus a 15% discount on any accessory I purchased. I have to buy a Honda oil filter for the bike, and get him up to Fridley, but the rest is free. That means I don't have to freak out about checking the bike over myself this spring.

After I Photoread the manual last night, I was flipping out about doing the maintenance. I was scared to do anything, because my life is on the line if I screw up. This is one of those times I'd rather leave it to people who do this for a living because they love it so much. Pay people for their passion.

Or in my case, just pay for the filter. I can deal with that.

As for the 15% discount? I bought some windshield cleaner that will work for both the bike and my helmet. Oh, and a new jacket, too.

I've been looking at getting a new jacket for a couple years. It's not that there's a whole lot wrong with my old jacket, but just enough that it makes it a pain to wear when I ride. The jacket I bought was half of what the other jackets I'd been looking at - $170 vs $350. Take another 15% off, and that did the trick.

This jacket is longer, gathered at the waist instead of the bottom. My old jacket rode up because of the elastic, this one won't because it's a straight bottom. Plenty of pockets inside and out, and even pockets in the liner. It has shoulder and elbow pads, along with armor in the back to protect my spine. It's black and grey, so while it doesn't match my bike, at least it doesn't clash, and my silver helmet works fine with it.

I like the Fridley Hitching Post. The manager, Jeff, seems like a decent guy, and they actually have a woman on staff. I suspect, despite their lack of Honda stuff (only Kawasaki, Yamaha and Suzuki at that location) I'll for sure go back there for service. Doesn't hurt they are right on the way to and from work.

Other than that, bought groceries on the way home and have done four loads of laundry. Four loads is what happens when you miss a weekend of washing.

I made a commitment to myself after college graduation that I would have two weeks worth of work clothes, in case something ever happened that I couldn't get to the laundry, like traveling or a weekend with no time at home - like last weekend. It was interesting trying to figure out what to wear with what I had, but I got through. I still have stuff left to wear, so I could go three weeks if I had to, but I'd either be looking pretty shabby or be wearing my suits. No thanks.

Now I need to work on Taez. I was doing some digging on the web last night and found his high pressure power steering line for $43, instead of the $111 the dealership wants. Now I need to email the guy that advertised on LJ as being available and see when he can come and do it. Get the part and quit dumping power steering fluid all over the place. See how much he'd charge me to do the U joint, too.

Windows need cleaning, on the bike, the truck and the house. Lovely spring cleaning.

No comments: