Saturday, March 7, 2009

Not my problem

Cable wise, that is.

Cable guy just left. The problems I've been having with the picture tiling and doing funky stuff has nothing to do with my set top box or wiring. Whew. The problem is at the building's box, because someone put an amplifier in the building box, not at the street level.

In essence, the amp boosted the signal too high with not enough time for it to settle down before it hit my cable box. If the amp had been put at the street branch, there would have been enough time for the signal to damp down and behave.

The cable guy knew immediately that it wasn't an inside issue, just looking at the numbers he was getting. So, he's going to take the maintenance guy to lunch to see if he can get him over here in the next week to move the amp out to the street.

Sweetness. If it's not fixed in the next week or two, I need to call in and ask what's going on. At least I don't have to pay for it, cause it's their equipment that's causing the problem.

With him been and gone, now I can get the rest of my day underway. I need to get groceries, a new battery for my landline phone, gas in Taez, maybe make another run to ARC. Then it's to buckle down and get stuff going with my writing business.

I've decided to name my business The Write Support. The name isn't taken in Minnesota, the last time I checked. I can get thewritesupport.biz for a web address. I can use PayPal to take credit cards for the time being. I just need to get the insurance check for my hours lost and multiple trips to see Dr. M so I can start the checking account.
---
It's looking like I'm a good influence at work. My boss is the only woman team lead in her area. The other team lead has, in essence, started a good old boys club with his team. His abrogation of leadership has caused problems not only within the team but with other teams as well.

I encouraged her to start documenting what was going on and take it to HR. Present it to the director as, I've done everything I know to make the situation better and it hasn't made a difference, I need help. She presented it after we did our spiel with the numbers on Thursday. The director listened and actually scheduled an appointment with the HR rep, the other team lead, my boss and himself.

I also encouraged her to go to the HR rep before hand, to give him some background on the situation and to give him the names of other people who have seen the other team lead's behavior cause problems. She was seriously thinking about it when I left her yesterday.

That's the tricky part of being a woman in a predominantly male field - when do you speak up and when do you keep your mouth shut? Her team is at it's limit with the BS going on and are getting irritated with her for not doing anything. I think she needed the support of another woman in order to get moving. I've given her some outside perspective, different ways of presenting it and ideas of how to go forward. She has to do the work and be prepared for the backlash.

I'm doing my coaching work at work. Perhaps that's why I'm there.

No comments: