Sunday, March 15, 2009

Cooking day

Cooking and washing dishes are all I've done so far today. Yogurt is on the stove doing it's thing. I made my 'soup' for the week, which is a quarter cup each of canolli and black beans and a third cup each peas and carrots. I made, from scratch, hash browns. Made the gnocchi and had some for lunch.

Gnocchi... I need to work on the recipe. I baked up some sweet and yukon gold potatoes yesterday, put them in the fridge overnight. In order to mash them, since I don't have a ricer, I put them in the food processor. The issue came in that since I'm not using wheat flour, it took a lot of gluten free flour to even get the dough to somewhat of a consistency. As it is, it's more like cookie dough than pasta dough. Since I didn't want to put too much flour in, I decided to do a test and drop it in boiling water like dumplings.

It worked just fine. They boiled up amazingly fast - within two minutes or less. I grated some parmesan over them with a bit of butter and called it good. Tonight I'll make a blush sauce to put over them, then freeze the rest for another time.

Now if I can just rustle up enough energy to haul out garbage and recycling, then get the laundry done, I'll be in good shape.

When I did take a few minutes to sit down, I noticed a commercial for gel kitchen mats. Given how bad my bad hurts right now, that caught my attention. They aren't cheap - $100-$250 on their web site. Bed, Bath and Beyond does carry some for $100-200. I'm really tempted to get one, given how much I stand in my kitchen on the weekend.

It would also be cool to have one when I start standing at my desk. That's part of why I haven't started standing up yet, is how my back and feet feel when I've been standing for too long. Hmm, perhaps with the next insurance check I can purchase a small one that can go back and forth between work and home until I can afford to get a second one. Or, perhaps I can get one of my chiro's to give me a prescription for one so I can stand at work.

Things to contemplate.

No comments: