Thursday, March 5, 2009

Brain fried, part 2

Man, I could do without coming home brain fried every night. Part of it is repetition, doing the same copy-find-alt tab -arrow over-input-arrow back-alt tab-copy-alt tab-paste for hours on end.

Another part today was doing a minor overhaul on the Access database. Another meeting with Europe lead into them now wanting the database so they can start uploading all their stuff now. Given what I learned yesterday, I knew I had to add a couple more fields before I can even think about letting them have it.

So the database dude came over and we talked about adding the SMS version number, the AD group name, and a few other things. Next thing I know he's in my chair overhauling the database. The way he came up with makes more connections and allows us to pull queries that show missing data, mismatched data, etc.

So that means I need to go back and add more info to my spreadsheet. When I get that added for Europe, then I can do an upload of Europe's info and see if I can break the database with the queries we came up with.

This is one time when I don't know enough. Not that I want to know how SMS/SCMS and all that stuff works, leave that for the real geeks. It would be nice to have a better understanding of how this all ties together.

My boss and I met with the director yesterday to give him some preliminary numbers. Some things aren't too far out of whack, but Project Pro is completely upside down. At $532 a copy, that's gonna be a fun one to deal with. So the boss and I are going to sit down tomorrow and start planning time lines and actually using her copy of Project to plot things out.

Had to laugh at her, we were talking about the whole asset management thing. She quipped that I was the software asset management department. Well, I suppose that's good for job security.

Meanwhile, I'm sitting here yawning, and it's only 6 pm.

Freakin' time change this weekend, too. Bah. Go from actually being light enough to see my way around in the morning without turning on the lights to having to turn them on again. I like my light in the morning, thank you!

So, if you don't hear anything out of me for more than a day or two, it's just cause I am too fried to think straight, let alone put two letters together.

No comments: