Sunday, May 17, 2009

Saturday

So, I went to see my nutritionist yesterday. What she told me seems counter intuitive, yet given what I know does make sense.

She told me to add some more fat to my diet.

What???

In the past two years since I saw her last, more and more research has come out about the various kinds of fat and how our body best works with food. One of the books she pointed me at is Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes. He's a science journalist by training, so he documented everything he could find on nutrition. Given that I am carb sensitive, it makes sense to add more fat to my diet, in the form of coconut milk and oil and move up to whole milk.

If this isn't making sense to you, stop and think about the Eskimos. Until recently, all they survived on was seals and whales, their meat and blubber. There were NO carbs in their diets, since it's a little hard to grow plants when you live in the Arctic Circle. They survived just fine for centuries with just those food sources.

Go back in time to our early ancestors, the hunter-gatherers. They survived primarily on animal protein and did just fine - we're still here.

So, given that thinking, I need to change some things around. Breakfast will continue to be my breakfast shake, with roughly 40 grams of whey and milk protein, whole milk, blueberries, coconut oil, XPC, flax seed and cinnamon. Morning snack will be chocolate whey protein with either whole milk or water and coconut oil. Lunch can continue to be my soup with beans, but add an ounce or two of animal protein like meat or hard boiled eggs to help the body assimilate the beans. Mid afternoon snack will be yogurt with my walnuts. Supper can be a salad with slow cooked meat or a bean salad with eggs.

She also gave me more recipes and ideas as well. Time to start incorporating what she's taught me from before into this new knowledge and see where it takes me.

You may also be questioning the coconut oil, since it's a saturated fat. The key is that it's a medium chain triglyceride, which means the body uses it as an energy source and doesn't store it as fat. It's also an anti-viral and anti-fungal, so if there's anything lurking in my body, that will help clean it out.

I suspect the pounds will start dropping quite easily now. I've got the book on order, along with Neale Donald Walsh's 'When Everything Changes, Change Everything'. Once I get both and PhotoRead them, I'll give you a review of each.

From there I headed to Marathon Sports to get new shoes. They confirmed I have a high, rigid arch, so I need shoes that cushion and flex with my step. I tried on 10 pairs of shoes, finally settling on a pair of Nikes. With my company discount, they came to $104. I will be keeping my eyes open for sales and discount locations, so I can get another pair or two. This pair will stay at work - I'll change into them when I get to work so I don't have to think about it, then change before I come home.

So that was my day yesterday. Today I've got a cheap roast in the crock pot with some salsa for my nightly protein. Beans are soaking to be cooked later. I'll soon get the clothes sorted and ready to wash, and then I'll start on doing some work to make up for my hours on Friday.

No comments: