Saturday, March 27, 2010

Happy b-day to me

Another year older. Yeah rah, yippy skippy, yabba dabba do.

No, I am no enthused about this day. It's another of several days during the year I'd just rather forget. Or, if I had a few things from the Harry Potter universe, then I could make it a day I'd want to remember.

Since I don't have access to those things, life goes on.

Got a few things done already this morning. Hit Target, got stuff for the trip. My personal supplies are packed - one thing done. Got the hair cut, stopped at Batteries Plus for a small flashlight that can be used for self defense - it's really bright and the face can be used as a kubaton or to support your fingers if you need to punch someone.
Then off to the grocery store and home. Clothes are sorted, so I'll do those tonight when I get home, along with the cooking.

Tomorrow has to be a work day. After a few really nasty emails to my personal box, the boss FINALLY got the message that the 850+ emails need to be dealt with. That bought us a week, so next week's removals and the Acrobat removals are now pushed back a week while I play catch up.

They boys in the support center know they need to do the EUSR's, and they are even willing to try to help with the email. I may take them up on that.

Amazingly, I've been pretty detached from the chaos. Since I talked with P about things, it doesn't matter. I do the best I can with the hours I have and screw the rest of it. The attitude shift may have something to do with the boy as well.

He's buried almost as deep as I am in the rest of the Microsoft enterprise wide true up. Like he said, he's so far behind he's running to try and catch up with himself. He's not willing to put in the overtime like I am - he's salaried - so it will just have to wait. I warn him when I'm going to be sending large chunks of little things his way so he knows and can work them into his schedule and to-do list.

We did get a bit of time Monday night. Not what I expected, most likely what I needed. That's what seems to happen when I'm trying to draw information out of him. He had several points to make. Don't attack when they aren't in your face. Stay calm when someone grabs your arm - if they pull you towards them, make use of that force to drive your elbow or fist into them. Use your body weight and what's around you.

I may have also found a place to play with my martial arts and self defense. I needed to stop at GNC because my shipment of whey protein is over a week late. As I drove by one of the strip malls in the area, I saw a window front for Crystal Fight Club. Yes, they focus on the MMA stuff, which at this point is a little too hardcore for me. But they offer Judo, which I think would play well into the rest of my self defense instruction.

Depending on the reply I get, I may go check them out. If they are open to having women, I'll offer my other skills like massage, therapeutic coaching, photography and writing.

No comments: