Sunday, April 4, 2010

From the Cape

The last couple days have been insteresting, to say the least.

Friday was a LONG day. Up at 3 am to catch a 6 am flight. Arrived in Boston about 11, got the car and headed for the Cape.

Talk about ants in the pants kids. They were texting back and forth from the time we landed until we arrived in the driveway. T'Sh practically tackle hugged Josh, and they've pretty much been stuck to each other since then.

His aunt MK... Let's just say my dull, boring life seems pretty exciting compared to hers. I have hobbies and do stuff with my life. She watches TV, reads and works. How boring is that?

It also feels like she lives her life in fear. She was surprised to hear I ride motorcycle, even though I'd talked about it on Friday, she really didn't get that I do own a motorcycle and ride until we were coming home from Boston yesterday.

She's really strict about little things that in my mind aren't worth picking fights about. Things like sitting up straight in the back seat on the way to Boston, how he eats, how much he eats. MK made a nervous wreck out of Josh's sister when she dropped a mixing beater on the floor that hit the cabinets and her dress on the way down. MK hasn't learned to pick her battles yet.

She'a not an easy person to warm up to, either. I've been wracking my brain to find topics to talk about. There's just not much there to work with. If I met her in a 'normal' context, she's not someone I'd choose to be friends with. Yet here we are, being cordial and tolerating each other for the sake of our niece and nephew.

Like I told T'Sh on Friday, I'm trying to do for her and the other five the things none of my family did for me. I'm here to listen, to haul her butt out to MA to meet the boy she loves (and has fallen even harder for). I'm also here to pass on what I've learned the hard way, explain the pain of being cheated on, the bio-chemical side of what happens when you have sex and how that effects your feelings and life.

The kids are down on the beach at the moment. T'Sh wanted to build another sand castle and lay out (even though it's windy and cold). I'll wander down in a while with the camera and get some pix of them so I can post them on Facebook for both of them (and post in my cube).

Later we'll head back to MK's for supper. It will need to be an early night, as we need to be on the road by 3 am. It's a 90 minute drive back to Logan and we need to drop off the car before we actually get to the airport and through security.

When we get home, I need to go to the office for a meeting. Show her a bit of cube life, introduce her to my boy. Then we need to head out and meet her mom half way so I can get stuff pulled together for Tuesday.

Other interesting things have happened, but I'll save those for later. Not so much for the kids, but the Universe trying to get some things through to me.

No comments: