Sunday, April 18, 2010

Gorgeous weather

Spring is finally here, at least enough to get Chael out of storage and on the road.

I actually got him out of storage a week ago. Talked the boy into picking me up on his way in to work and dropping me off after work. We talked about some of the rides he's done, the weather he's had to deal with.

Most of last week was rainy or windy, so I didn't actually ride again until yesterday. Ran up to the bookstore, cause I just needed something new to read that I haven't already read at least 10 times. Came home with a book on martial arts stretching and The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch.

Work has calmed down considerably. I put in 12 hours last Sunday trying to get ready for the removal on Wednesday. Late Monday afternoon the removal was postponed because of the soft freeze for the year end.

The company's fiscal year runs May 1-April 30. We have a hard freeze, where nothing can change in IT unless it's an emergency affecting the financial systems - ie a server goes down or something goes haywire. The soft freeze for year end starts three weeks ahead of the hard freeze, where the VP of IT has to approve any changes before they are made. Removing Project and Visio at this point isn't something the VP would sign off on, so we're waiting until after the freeze is done.

That's OK with me. We weren't ready to do the uninstall even with all the overtime I've put in. That buys me some time to get a few things done and caught up.

It also gives me time to test out the new way the project lead wants to do things. I feel like she completely ignored the previous documents I've written up explaining the process of how I did things. She didn't come to ask me about how I did things or why I did them or the reasoning behind it. Now I get to figure out if her way works or not.

I'm pissed and it also feels like I'm being set up to be removed again. My boss has told me my contract is being extended, but I haven't see it come through yet. Some of it could be year end and the lower VP not being in the office to approve the extension. Still, it feels all too familiar to what happened at the last job.

Been nice to have an entire weekend to myself. Didn't quite know what to do with it all. I've done the usual household chores. I've read. I crocheted yesterday while I was waiting for Taez's brakes to be worked on. Back to the copywriting class I suppose, get that going just in case...

Back to the zoo tomorrow. See what happens.

No comments: